BF3 Patch: A rant, opportunity, and plea for help

• Hey guys....

First the rant....
    DICE in their infinite wisdom have changed ranked server settings for BF3 such that admins are no longer able to turn off the idle-kick. Also it will take either 4 or 5 players to get started and players will continue to NOT be able to roam around the map until the round starts. Because of this, I believe it will be practically impossible for a small gaming community such as mine (WGO) to get our rented BF3 game server started on anything except rare occasions.

Next the Opportunity / Plea for help:
    Me and the other fella that pays for the majority of our server costs are going to have to think long-n-hard about keeping a server that we have near-zero chance of getting started now that we can't even put 2 or 3 campers on there to seed it without those campers getting kicked. I realize you guys (OSS) aren't a HUGE clan either but some of your guys do put in some serious hours of gameplay and I've got a lot of respect for you guys.

To that end, it occurred to me that some of you *might* be interested in having admin on a 32-slot server. We have typically run our servers as a no-rules type of environment. Meaning you are free to trash talk all you want, use rockets on infantry, or just complain about it to your hearts content. Main role of admins is just getting rid of the obvious hackers. Part of why I'm comfortable extending this offer to any/all of you OSS guys is that you guys are generally a pretty skilled group that has experienced hackusations before and would be slow to ban people based on weak suspicions.

If this is going to cause some type of trouble here, then I'll apologize in advance and retract the wholesale offer. In no way am I trying to impede your own groups server plans. With that said, I guess I'm admitting our current feeling of desperation and seeing if any of you guys have an interest in getting admin rights to our server.

If so, all that is needed is to let me know via this thread and/or PM. Send me your soldier and I will setup access for you as soon as I can. We use ProCon to admin our servers, so I would just need to know your soldier name, setup you an initial password and give you ip/port info. It would *help* if you would join my groups forums so that I could point you to more "readme/help" type materials posted there, but..... I'm willing to just work through these forums if there is an interested person or two.

I have no illusions that you guys are going to make a huge difference. But, I guess I do hope a few of you will have an interest in this and maybe we when you feel like a conquest or Rush round (instead of your TDM server) that you would help admin and get our server started.

Anyway.... food for thought. Yes, we are desperate...but.... I've wanted to do this sort of a co-op with you guys for a long time. Just never felt comfortable bugging my "co sponsor" friend at WGO to see if he'd be cool with it until now.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    =OSS*Flyswamper

• Just to be perfectly clear.....

The offer of admin is for any/all OSS members in good standing with your group. That includes the newly merged guys from the other clan. I may not know you all personally, but I have faith you guys would handle this well if you chose to do so....

Another thought...I'd be willing to give essentially full admin access (ability to grant admin to others) to maybe 1 or 2 of your main guys if you wanted to sorta manage the OSS guys yourself instead of having me do it. Your call...
    =OSS*Flyswamper

• uhhh we have our own server and if youre talking about a combined server then it will have to be more than just admins. Your server name would definitely have to change
    =OSS*Bomber=

• We have TWO servers, which unfortunately I am sure isnt gonna last long, I get the feeling that just like goddamn BC2, interest will peter out with server stuff and just let it die.
    =OSS*bulldog1986=

• Bulldog,

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize you guys have two servers now. I guess I thought you only had the single Team/Squad deathmatch server. If you guys have a Rush/Conquest server then I can see how this wouldn't work as well. The intent wasn't to draw you guys away from your own server. I just know that plenty of you enjoy a good round of Conquest/Rush in addition to deathmatch. And since I *thought* you didn't have a server for that, well........ made the offer and I think you understand.

Anyway, there is good news for us on the horizon. From what I've read in Battlelog and in Phogue.net forums, DICE has reversed their decision and has supposedly already released R10 (or R10 v2?) of the server files. Supposedly they are again allowing us to turn off idle-kick as they now admit that the change they made was too restrictive. So..... me and my cohorts at =WGO= are reasonably happy again. We will be able to idle in our servers and will still have some chance/hopes of getting them going. Since both of us are small communities with servers, I think you guys can understand the challenges in getting servers going. We'll still face those, but..... the situation isn't nearly as bleak today as it is tomorrow.

With that said, and again not wanting to stir up any trouble here..... *IN the EVENT* that we manage to get our server going somewhat regularly and some of you guys find yourself playing on it somewhat regularly, you should know the offer of admin is still there. Understand this is not a request to merge clans/communities. The server isn't going to be rebranded as an OSS server (unless you guys want to pay for it too....lol), it is simply a friendly offer to some folks that I have learned to respect and gained a bit of trust for. The idea is that if you were playing in the server and I (or another WGO guy) wasn't present you could kick/ban any obvious hackers to keep the game/server alive.

Anyway.... offer stands .... We aren't nearly as worried about seeding the server now (but always appreciate any help we can get) and I realize that you having a 2nd server is a very real reason this offer isn't that appealing to you guys.

Take care folks.... and just let me know (PM or whatever) if anybody wants a little access...
    =OSS*Flyswamper

• Its been a hell of a week at hospital. I think its very good idea...personally not sure If I will have the time to admin the server more than very occasionally. Ehhh..must think bout it
    Theres so many more qualified/talented guys in here....Speak up! :wink:

Fly...yes...so many times Ive seen the server "empty"...seems harder than in BC2 to get it going. Or I might just check it the wrong hours?!
    The server Name(s) have for sure looked attractive so its a mystery it aint get going.

ImageImage
    =OSS*TERMINATOR=
    The Swedish Bulldozer

• =OSS*TERMINATOR= wrote:Its been a hell of a week at hospital. I think its very good idea...personally not sure If I will have the time to admin the server more than very occasionally. Ehhh..must think bout it
    Theres so many more qualified/talented guys in here....Speak up! :wink:

Fly...yes...so many times Ive seen the server "empty"...seems harder than in BC2 to get it going. Or I might just check it the wrong hours?!
    The server Name(s) have for sure looked attractive so its a mystery it aint get going.

Several reasons it's been empty.

Early on our server suffered from a bug DICE had in their server-code. Basically it was causing our server to not even show up in the server-browser list. Even I couldn't join the server over half the time. Sucked eggs until we found out what situation caused it and we got a plugin running which avoided it. The other problem we had which seemed to affect us more than most is that even when we did get a game going, we had lots of situations where everybody lost connection to the server at the same time. it wasn't a server crash, but was more buggy stuff in the server code.

Hopefully DICE has fixed *most* of those with the most recent patches. Now that they've agreed to let us idle in our servers again, I am confident we'll get our server going. It likely won't be up 24/7 or anything, but it should be up a LOT more than it was over the past few weeks.

The other reason that servers struggle (ours, yours, and everybody else's) is just that there are something like 7 server-slot out there for every active player. Lots more people renting slots than there is players to fill them. So the competition is pretty tough. But that's ok.... we had it that way with BF2, BF2142, and BC2 and we still managed to (eventually) get our servers populated a respectable amount of time).

Anyway.... no worries about the time to admin it. I'm not expecting any sort of effort out of you guys. It is more like, *IF* you are in the server anyway..... I can give you both in-game and ProCon ways to kick/boot/ban people that might be obvious hackers. If you wanna take it further we could do that to. I just thought it might be attractive to have the ability to be in a server and just go "!kick Flyswamper" to get rid of the hacker..... heh...

I already know your soldier-name, so I'll get you setup so you can at least do in-game stuff and we'll go from there.
    =OSS*Flyswamper

• Relative to what Bomber posted, there would be no expectations or a need for any server Name Change consideration. We're not talking about ownership here, just admin priviledges and Nothing more.

This would be no different than if we were asking another group/clan to help populate and admin a server under OSS ownership. Of course we wouldn't change the name of the server for that reason, and would not expect anyone else do so either.

I too was sorely pissed that they would basically pull a communist plot on the Ranked Servers and make the 2 person (or even one person) start impossible.
    I can see it from only one perspective and of course that is the Stat Padder people who have already obviously spent their "in game" hours swapping back and forth with racking up points to gain in rank without putting in the gaming time it requires to get the rank under normal game-play conditions.

Personally I strive to stay in DM and TDM servers. The larger maps get on my nerves with all the un-coordinated chaos. Plus, maybe only 12 or so players of the 32 on a team are actually attempting to accomplish the mission. The rest are just roaming, scavenging and shooting what they can when they can. So the Conquest and Rush modes typically wind up being no more than a "Glorified" DM/TDM game with the added irritation of some weird fucking boxes to blow up or some flags to capture.

There may be a couple or so of our guys willing to admin and seed the server.
    I feel like Bulldog's attitude is on the mark, however. I have been parked in either of the two servers we currently have up for lengthy times, and NO ONE ever gets in. Wait, wait and then wait....no one.

Just the other night, VanillaIce, Me, and Fatfish practically wasted about 45 minutes sitting in one of our servers bullshitting until we finally decided to move on to a game in another server.
    So even camping sometimes produces no results.

EA sucks. I love the game but they sure can fuck up a good product most of the time.
    56BLOOD
    'Bama Bulldog

• I hear ya Blood....

Your post does bring up a thought though..... Even if we left the admin questions aside, both of us wish we could get our respective servers started more frequently. Wouldn't it be cool if we somehow could actually coordinate the few "steady" server-seeding campers that we have amongst us. I can't speak for =WGO=Sev but.... I think I know him well enough to say that if some of you guys were scratching our backs (i.e. populating our server(s) ) that he would probably be willing to devote some of his camping time to your server(s). I know I'd be happy to do that.

The hard part would be the natural tendency all of us would have to want to have that "me first (or my server first)" type of thinking. Not exactly sure how we'd get past that, but.... I know that I would be happy to help you guys seed your server with my account if I knew I was getting similar help in return. In theory, with enough cooperation we could all concentrate on a particular server at a particular time/day and *probably* get it going without much trouble and then move onto another server.

Anyway...I think I'm being a bit of an optimist here..... but it's a thought anyway ....

For what it's worth, if past experiences are a good indicator... my group has two guys (me and Sev) that are die-hard 24/7 type of server-seeders. We've got maybe 3-5 others that do some seeding/camping to varying degrees.

Also, if you guys are running ProCon I could probably help with some plugins/ideas to consider that might help (at least in theory...heh). For instance, I think the "Adaptive server size" plugin that we've been running has helped quite a bit. It's still difficult to seed with a single camper, but it seems that if we get two campers on for an extended time that this plugin really helps the server "take off." Just gotta get DICE to fix those crashes....grrrrrrr..
    =OSS*Flyswamper

• Hey guys....noticed a bit of camping already occurring. Just wanted to acknowledge it and say thanks. You should be seeing my soldier camping a bit on yours in the coming days....
    =OSS*Flyswamper

• I keep getting kicked for "Idle too Long" on your's and our servers.... :?
    56BLOOD
    'Bama Bulldog

• =OSS*BLOOD= wrote:I keep getting kicked for "Idle too Long" on your's and our servers.... :?

Hmmmm.... that is strange. Thanks for letting me know though. I'll look into this and see if I can figure out how that could be happening. The thing is.... I'm dead certain that I've turned off the main server-setting for idle kick. In fact, if I hadn't done that I wouldn't have been able to have my camper on their for hours at a time. So pretty sure it's turned off at the master-server level.

However, I am running a few plugins with ProCon. I don't *THINK* any of those should be kicking people for idle. Here's what is running:

BF3AutoMsgs : chat spamming utility
    AdaptiveServerSize: automatically changes server size to try and catch more random-quickmatch players
    InGameAdmin: allows people designated as admin to use in-game chat to do basic stuff
    TrueBalancer: keeps player count even between teams
    TeamspeakSync: automatically organizes people that are in our Teamspeak and our Gameserver into team/squad based sub channels.

None of those are supposed to be kicking anybody for idle. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything. Let me know if it keeps happening, and in particular if you are *sure* that it is telling you the kick is for idle and not some other lost-connection kinda thing.
    =OSS*Flyswamper

• Gonna camp on there right now and see what happens.
    Pretty sure it was the idle time out though....
    56BLOOD
    'Bama Bulldog

• Hey guys..... regarding you guys having 2 servers. Spent a few moments looking through the forum for references to both of them so that I could make sure I have them as a Favorite in my server list. however, I only know about the one that shows in Desmos signature. Can you give me a name or something to find the other one?

Sitting in the office right now (yeah....sucks that I had to go in on a Sundary morning, but we have a mini crisis that needs dealing with). Anyway..... hoping I can put my camper on one of your servers later today when i get home to mess with it. Was going to put it on the one is Desmos sig, but if you have a camper in the other one it would make more sense to combine campers at once than just put my guy on your empty one all by itself. (I find that it takes two or three campers to kick things off *USUALLY*)
    =OSS*Flyswamper

Next

Return to -BF3-

Information