PC Upgrades and Pics

Discuss/recommend/tweak/brag about........... your hardware.
Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:56 pm

• Well I ordered Win 7 (64-bit of course) and then I saw the supposed FPS improvement in BF4 with Win 8. So I ordered Win 8 too. I'll have to get the Start menu back and make it look like Win 7 because I'm not a fan of the new app UI.

Yeah, I could have if I knew but I ordered before they announced the 780 Ti. I wonder if I can pay the $100 difference and get two of them through EVGA's Step Up program?

And Ivy Bridge E for this build because of the 6 cores and added PCI-e bandwidth and memory.

EDIT: Just installed Win 8.1 So far so good.
    =OSS*DesmoLocke=
    Carolina Corpse Creator

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 pm

• =OSS*DesmoLocke= wrote:Well I ordered Win 7 (64-bit of course) and then I saw the supposed FPS improvement in BF4 with Win 8. So I ordered Win 8 too. I'll have to get the Start menu back and make it look like Win 7 because I'm not a fan of the new app UI.

Yeah, I could have if I knew but I ordered before they announced the 780 Ti. I wonder if I can pay the $100 difference and get two of them through EVGA's Step Up program?

And Ivy Bridge E for this build because of the 6 cores and added PCI-e bandwidth and memory.

ETA install time on Win8.1? Your thoughts on Win8.1 vs Win7 Sp1. Any coil whine from your ax860i? Did you leave your i7 920 pc in the states?
    =OSS*repor
    The Rockin' Rocketeer

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm

• =OSS*repor wrote:
    =OSS*DesmoLocke= wrote:Well I ordered Win 7 (64-bit of course) and then I saw the supposed FPS improvement in BF4 with Win 8. So I ordered Win 8 too. I'll have to get the Start menu back and make it look like Win 7 because I'm not a fan of the new app UI.

ETA install time on Win8.1? Your thoughts on Win8.1 vs Win7 Sp1. Any coil whine from your ax860i? Did you leave your i7 920 pc in the states?

Install time for 8.1 was roughly 10 minutes or so including download time.

I'm liking 8.1 so far. Got the Start button back and I skip the Metro Start screen and go right to desktop. It's not a terrible upgrade. Just takes some getting used to.

WTF! I should have done more homework on the 860i. The coil whine is ridiculous! It is the loudest thing in my PC! I can't wait to have to deal with the RMA process from Korea. I'm just going to get another 1200i I guess. BF4 crashes when I push the FPS over 80 on High settings. Uniengine benchmarks cause my cards to throttle back and I get <20 FPS. This PSU was a poor choice on my part. I've always gone with 1,000+ watt PSUs for my gaming rigs and now I'm shaking my head about this 860i.

And yes. My i7 920 build is in storage back in Hawaii. I didn't want to have it damaged during the move and didn't have enough time to properly disassemble and pack it the way I wanted it packed.
    =OSS*DesmoLocke=
    Carolina Corpse Creator

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:03 am

• =OSS*DesmoLocke= wrote:WTF! I should have done more homework on the 860i. The coil whine is ridiculous! It is the loudest thing in my PC! I can't wait to have to deal with the RMA process from Korea. I'm just going to get another 1200i I guess. BF4 crashes when I push the FPS over 80 on High settings. Uniengine benchmarks cause my cards to throttle back and I get <20 FPS. This PSU was a poor choice on my part. I've always gone with 1,000+ watt PSUs for my gaming rigs and now I'm shaking my head about this 860i.

To my knowledge, 780's only throttle when they reach 80°C (except modded BIOS). So you might want to check your temps, gpu fan speeds and case air flow. The entire AX series, both "i" and "non i" has the coil whine issue. The non "i" series are SeaSonic (AX1200 is Flextronics) and are mostly identical to the more expensive SeaSonic Platinums, except they lack 2200uF capacitors that are attached to PCI-E connectors which allows coil whine. The AX "i" series and AX1200 are Flextronics and are missing the same capacitors.
    =OSS*repor
    The Rockin' Rocketeer

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:45 pm

• :lol: :lol: :lol: I wont say its overkill but it sure can play the bf4 on ULTRA.

My haswell 4770K and msi 770 lightning handles it with 60-80+ fps in 64player maps so...

Thumbs up.

OC the 780s and it goes close to Titan. 780ti out now..all cudas....whom can keep up aand buy all stuff that get out on the market. Its old already U receive uare ordered hardware. :roll:

ImageImage
    =OSS*TERMINATOR=
    The Swedish Bulldozer

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:01 pm

• was alreadey talkin to Desmo a bit today bout his suggestion for my upcoming "pimp-my-3year-old-machine-event"

u can find my actual specs somewhere in this thread and if no i´ll post again .

and here´s the things i wanna put in instead of the old ones

Intel Core i5-4670K
    Sapphire Radeon R9 290
    ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO (C2)

my budget is actually around 1000€ ~ (1300$ i think)
    good choice?
    does this shit fit in my case? (cooler master storm scout)
    all money left would be spent for a small ssd or new monitor tough im very satisfied with my old one

all advices from any hardwareguru (and i know we have some in our clan) is welcome
    off for some fun now
    cheers Ghost
    METAL RULEZ :twisted:
    (NO kangaroos in Austria)
    =OSS*GhOStOfVieNNa=
    Austrian Assassin

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:26 am

• These your current specs, Ghost?

Case Cooler Master Storm Scout
    8GB RAM Corsair
    OS HDD 250GB Seagate Barracuda
    Data HDD 500GB Seagate Barracuda
    MOBO ASUS P7P55D Evo (S-1156)
    CPU Core i7-860
    Graphics Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
    PSU Corsair 650TX
    Drive LG Multi-Layer-Writer
    Screen Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23"

€ 934.60 including 250GB SSD @ ditech.at

ASUS Maximus VI Gene (C2), Micro-ATX
    Different motherboard than the one you listed, basically a smaller version of the Hero.
    http://www.ditech.at/artikel/MAS428/Mai ... o-ATX.html

i5 - 4670K
    http://www.ditech.at/item.do?kurzbez=IC5467K

SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290
    http://www.ditech.at/item.do?kurzbez=GPH4G05

SAMSUNG 840 Evo, 250 GB
    http://www.ditech.at/artikel/H2D02GF/So ... 50_GB.html

€ 899.60 Different motherboard but same components as above @ ditech.at

ASUS TUF Gryphon Z87 (C2), Micro-ATX
    Slightly less features of the Maximus VI Gene, like the SupremeFX audio.
    http://www.ditech.at/item.do?kurzbez=MAS416

You didn't mention an after-market CPU cooler, so I didn't include one.
    As far as a power supply. You should be good to go with that 650TX. But if you plan on "CrossFire" at a later date, you'd need to step-up to a 750w.
    SSD size, not sure if you're planning to use one for games or for Windoze and games.
    120GB good for a collection of games but dependable on size of each games.
    250GB good for a large collection of games.
    500GB good for a collection of games and Windoze.
    =OSS*repor
    The Rockin' Rocketeer

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:25 pm

• wow Repor u r the man :mrgreen:

yes the current specs r right

crossfire...hmm.. don´t think so. main reason for upgrade is BF4 and in another 3 years it might be a completely new system.

SSD im not yet sure but i think a 120G will do it because i just noticed my keyboard has to be replaced.

CPU => no clue about overclocking so will the 4670 without K also do it? would be 20 bucks cheaper. and with no
    overclocking a after-market cpu coller is not necessary right?

GPU=> i want most bang for bucks so i decided to stay with AMD but not to go for the "X" cuz 150€ more

must have been lots of work for u so BIG THANK YOU

maybe i can save up some money if i order the parts here http://www.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp; ... 21F14.www1 (this shop also has more variety imo)

if u feel boring maybe u can search this shop and post up whatever u would recommend me. u know my budget u know my actual specs u know lots more about hardware than me...... u r my god now LOL

cheers Ghost
    METAL RULEZ :twisted:
    (NO kangaroos in Austria)
    =OSS*GhOStOfVieNNa=
    Austrian Assassin

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:34 pm

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:06 pm

• No Titan Z's or 2/4p xeon's but it plays farmville :roll:

Hardware
    Intel i5 3570k
    MSI Z77 Mpower (yellow vrm,southbridge covers removed)
    Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 1866mhz
    Sli GTX 580's 1.5gb ( soon to be replaced :twisted: )
    OCZ vertex 3 60gb SSD ( OS )
    Plextor 256gb SSD (Games)
    WD Black 1TB (Everything Else)
    Asus Dx Soundcard
    Corsair AX850
    Corsair 900 w/ Coldzero Mid-Plate <3
    Peripherals
    Sammy 24", LG 22" Monitor's
    Junk Steelseries Kinzu & Qck mouse pad
    Klipsch 2.1 Pro Media
    Audio Technica A700's 8===D~~
    filco majestouch 2 10keyless Mx Red's

WaterCooling

Ek Supreme HF CPU Block
    EK Full Cover GTX 580 Copper/Acetal GPU Blocks x2
    EK Dual D5 Clean CSQ Pump Top
    1 Swiftec & 1 Darkside D5 Pump's
    Shit F'ing ton of Bitspower fittings
    AlphaCool UT60 480 Rad
    XSPC EX360 Rad
    XSPC RX240 Rad
    12x Gentle Typhoon AP-15's
    4x Corsair SP120's
    TimeToKill

Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:51 am

• Solid rig there TTK. I've been thinking about doing a custom water cooling loop lately. Then again, I'm pretty sure I said that two years ago too. If I can get another 3-year assignment, I'm going to do it.

Are you excited to replace those 580s with 880s? Should have seen my face when I went from 8800GTs to 780s! :shock: :D ?
    =OSS*DesmoLocke=
    Carolina Corpse Creator

Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:10 pm

• =OSS*DesmoLocke= wrote:Solid rig there TTK. I've been thinking about doing a custom water cooling loop lately. Then again, I'm pretty sure I said that two years ago too. If I can get another 3-year assignment, I'm going to do it.

Are you excited to replace those 580s with 880s? Should have seen my face when I went from 8800GTs to 780s! :shock: :D ?

That's quite the horsepower jump there. Super excited for new card's, although apparently they have been delayed because TSMC isn't ready for full production of 20nm yet. :cry: Really itching to do some mods to my pc right now, I've been thinking about sleeving my PSU(again). Just dont know what colour's I want to go for.
    I've already done blue a while back and loved it but I want to go for something say a little more over the top :twisted:
    Old Haf 932

Watercooling is really fun but trust me when i say your wallet will want to murder you, My loop is sitting around 1300$ atm without my fan's 12 @ 20$ each :shock:
    TimeToKill

Sat May 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:47 am

• Thinking about dropping $60 on eBay for a Xeon X5650 for my LGA 1366 system to replace my trusty i7 920. I would like the 2 extra cores for video encoding and lower power consumption. Plus, I think it would be fun to overclock.

I think I'll need to flash the BIOS on my ASUS P6T mobo for it to support the Xeon. We shall see.
    =OSS*DesmoLocke=
    Carolina Corpse Creator

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware

Information