Death Valley

Photography, Artwork, Creative Endeavors of all sorts
Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:24 pm

• Yes. The D90 is an excellent camera.
    =OSS*Crimson Ghost=

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:24 pm

• Not to hijack the thread or anything... but I too have been looking into getting into photography. Can you blame me? Hawaii has so many beautiful backdrops!

I just want a starter DSlr camera around $600 tops. The new Nikon D3100 has caught my eye. Any thoughts?

And of course.... amazing stuff Crimson Ghost! :shock:
    =OSS*DesmoLocke=
    Carolina Corpse Creator

Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:42 am

• Thanks!

Regarding good starter camera, there's a few things to consider. What type of photography are you interested in? In my experience, Nikons are faster, and built with stronger weatherproofing. Canons have slightly higher image quality, and better lens choices. There are many other excellent cameras out there, but those two brands are always a solid bet. It just depends on your priorities.

My previous camera was a Canon 40D, and I loved it. It felt very solid in my hands, it had good weatherproofing, and despite the relatively small megapixel count, it produced excellent images. It also had a good amount of metal in it's construction, versus the plastic you'll get in low end DSLRs. You could probably score a used on from craigslist or whatever for around $500. The new stuff coming out is pretty damn good for the $$$, so it's a tough call.

There are other elements that are equally as important as your camera. Since you're talking about the beautiful location you're in now, I'm assuming you want to try landscape stuff. If that's the case, you'll want to save some cash for the following items:
    1. A quality tripod and head. No plastic crap from walmart. Slik is a pretty decent, affordable brand.
    2. A hotshoe bubble level. This is cheap, but imperative for good pics, especially when an ocean is the subject.
    3. A remote shutter release. You'd be amazed how easily you can ruin an image by touching the shutter button on the camera. Even when it's on a tripod.
    =OSS*Crimson Ghost=

Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:39 am

• What a great question Desmo! To start you'll get a lot of rivalry between Nikon, and Canon.

Things to know -

Nikon and Canon are in the lens making industry more than cameras. So a good lens is about 75% of the picture, the 25% being the camera itself.

Nikon makes most of the microscope lenses in the world.
    Canon makes most of the television camera lenses.

Canon - Apples
    Nikon - Oranges

I started off with a mid-level camera. I bought a Nikon D40x, with 18-200mm lens. I bought an insurance policy that covers everything from the cleaning to a broken camera, basically everything except for being stolen is covered. I walked out the door $1540 lighter in the pocket.

I am now moving up to a D300s, as I do professional graduation ceremonies, and some other events.

I prefer Nikon, because I am used to the Nikon build and buttons.
    I would say go with Nikon, but it is on your personal preference and what you feel comfortable with.

I would suggest for a first time DSLR buyer to consider a used system. You can pick up a D70s with a 28-80mm, and 70-200mm lens for just under $500. I would also pick up a policy with a camera store like Ritz Camera, so they can clean everything in the camera, and lens.

They also offer complimentary camera courses to help out as well.

Like Crimson said, here are some things to consider ( I added some.)

1. Good quality Tripod. Lightweight ones usually mean low quality. Some come with adjustable seats (what the camera attaches to) and with levels on them.

2. Lens filters are amazing, depending on what you want to do. It depends if you want an awesome "raw" image, or if you don't care and will photoshop the shit out of it anyway.

3. Since your in Hawaii, consider an underwater camera case? They can be bought anywhere from $200 to $1,200, but most definately awesome shots can be made with it. That is how you get those half water, half air shots.

4. Remote shutter releases are great, but I never have an issue without using one. That is why a good quality tripod comes in handy. If everything is fastened down tight, and is sturdy, then you won't have an issue generally for starting out!

5. If you are planning on doing portraits then a little studio set-up is a great investment! Use a continuous light source, as flash studio lights have more technical difficulty. They can be found as cheap as $30 or so here!http://www.cowboystudio.com/index.php

6. If doing portraits on the go, and you don't want a little studio then you can go with these Metz flashes. CT-1 CL-3 and CL-4 are great. You can get them on ebay for as low as $40. They are amazing and work great. I can show you a few mods to do to them to be even more pro.

Ask us, if you have anymore questions!
    TS3: notellcartel.typefrag.com pass: frag

=OSS*Xconman=

Previous

Return to Galleria

Information