Battlefield Play4Free

Battlefield 2
Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:43 pm

• EA Announces Battlefield Play4Free

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/PC-Gam ... 11591.html

EA is launching another Battlefield-themed play-for-free service, however this one has a hard-core tone.

ZoomFriday Electronic Arts updated its Battlefield franchise portfolio with the announcement of Battlefield Play4Free, slated to hit the PC in Spring 2011. As the name indicates, the game will offer the free-to-play model while combining most of the popular maps found in Battlefield 2 with the classes and weapons of Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

But unlike EA's other free-to-play online shooter Battlefield Heroes--which offers cartoonish characters and arcade gameplay--Battlefield Play4Free will render a more realistic experience offering 32-player online battles, signature Battlefield vehicular warfare and sandbox gameplay. The game also boasts advanced graphics and polished production values.

"We broke new ground in 2009 with the launch of Battlefield Heroes; a game that has 6M registered players worldwide. Now we are complementing that arcade shooter with a core, realistic Battlefield shooter experience that fans have been clamoring for," said James Salt, Senior Producer, Battlefield Play4Free. "Battlefield Play4Free is for serious shooter fans who are looking for a premium--but free--experience that rivals top console titles."

According to EA, players will learn new combat skills and earn in-game money to spend on weapons and equipment. They'll also have access to 16 vehicles including the Mil Mi-28 attack helicopter, the F35 VTOL jet fighter, the Russian T-90 main battle tank, and the LSV light strike vehicle.

Those who want to gain early access can register for the closed beta by heading to the official site. The closed beta officially launches on November 30, just in time for the holiday break.

First thought was, "Are they serious?". Why do I keep buying their games if they are just going to go to the "free-to-play" money making schemes. Then, I read the highlighted quote.

I got really angry. Since when did PC gamers need shooters that "rivaled top console titles"? FPS games on the PC is where FPS games really shine. I then quickly realized there was no real mention of it coming to PC, although they mentioned Battlefield Heroes... :?

Do you guys think it will come to the PC? Or console? Or both? Does anyone really care?

I am still waiting for Battlefield 3!!!
    Last edited by =OSS*DesmoLocke= on Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
    =OSS*DesmoLocke=
    Carolina Corpse Creator

Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:57 pm

• More info....

http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1132440p1.html

When EA unveiled Battlefield Heroes at the turn of 2008 it couldn't have been more different from its more po-faced inspiration if it tried; an exaggerated shooter with aggressively stylised characters cheerfully lining up headshots, while its fundamentals were familiar its aesthetic suggested that EA wanted to keep this offshoot ringed off from the series proper.

Battlefield Play 4 Free, a new addition that builds upon Heroes' model, is different. The middle-Eastern setting is familiar, as are the loadouts, the classes available and the weapons to hand – here the lines are being blurred, and it's one step closer to being a serious addition to the Battlefield range.

Battlefield Play 4 Free Trailer
    Not that Heroes' light-hearted approach is to be laughed off, and for many of its six million registered users its serious business indeed. They needn't worry about their own beau, as Heroes will continue for the foreseeable future, and so healthy is the market for free-to-play shooters that EA is confident it can support two like-minded games.

In the free-to-play space, Battlefield Play 4 Free is certainly distinct, and it benefits from the finest of heritages. Battlefield 2 provides the foundation – the engine used is a highly tweaked version of that which powered the 2005 original, which should ensure it'll be friendly to the weaker processors of netbooks and laptops – and also provides much of the content.

Maps are refined takes on the classics from Battlefield 2, with the expansive Kubra Dam hosting this first reveal. It's handsome and sturdy enough, and contemporary effects such as a liberal use of film grain help elevate it above the original, as does the importing of assets from the more recent Bad Company games.

It's not just the weapons that have made the jump from Battlefield's populist spin-off either, as many of the game's underlying mechanics will ring a bell with those who've been fragging their way through DICE's 2010 sequel. The four classes from Bad Company 2 – Assault, Engineer, Medic and Recon should you need reminding – form the core and they're all privy to a level-up system.

The nature of Battlefield Play 4 Free means that progression through the ranks can be oiled with a little of your own money, though the nature of the paid for items won't differ fundamentally to those available in Battlefield Heroes; they're largely aesthetic, and those that do proffer an advantage offer only a slight one.

And Battlefield Play 4 Free's more sombre outlook means that Pirate outfits will be nowhere to be seen. Instead it'll be about upgrades that are true to the modern combat genre, whether that's an extra weapon slot or a personalised weapon stock – and to that end Battlefield Free 4 Play will be offering fully customisable avatars.

In the heat of a skirmish it's all heart-warmingly recognisable. The one game mode being shown is Battlefield's staple Conquest, and the action that ensues is the same brilliant mesh of vehicular and infantry combat as T-92 Tanks and F-35 Fighter Jets face off while foot soldiers battle in their midst.

As a light and of course cost free take on Battlefield, then, it's looking more than adequate, and the shift in focus from the light hearted thrills of Heroes should find it a new audience – and if the series' core fans needed any encouragement, the fact that achievements in Free 4 Play will unlock content in the imminent Battlefield 3 will surely be all the incentive they need. It's currently slated for a closed beta at the end of the month which will open up early next year.

This "enhanced version of the BF2 engine" sounds interesting...
    =OSS*DesmoLocke=
    Carolina Corpse Creator

Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:28 am

• I don't like being manipulated by a gaming company.
    When they mention that your participation/success in playing a game which you may not care a damn about has an effect on the level of success you can achieve, or certain "unlocks" you can acquire in a game you DO care about, then I am pissed off.

Battlefield 3 should be a stand-alone, unrelated to anything else and just let the title prove itself without mingling it with any of the other releases.

I cannot understand why they have to try and thread all these various game titles together as though it's some fucking soap opera.
    56BLOOD
    'Bama Bulldog

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 am

• I know. I thought EA wanted be back at the top with shooter games. This will definitely not help that goal.
    =OSS*Bomber=

Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 am

• I hear what you guys are saying, but..... I think back to Bad Company 2 and the unlocks that many of us got right out of the gates.... They were nice for a couple days of serious playtime. However, it didn't take very long really for an average player to unlock the "bonus" unlocks that the early birds got for free.

In other words, I don't see it as a big deal. It will affect a few players for a short period of their BF3 career. But I doubt it will really make any difference to any true die-hard player.

If it was like getting your unlocks in BF2...now that would be a bigger deal (lot longer to accmoplish)...

Of course, I'm only speculating...guess we'll see.....
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    =OSS*Flyswamper

Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:16 am

Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:23 am

• I hope they have Jellobad in the map list. :))

I am a bit confused as to why they are making a freebie game though ???
    =OSS*ROID=
    Admin

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:14 pm

• Me too Roid, Me too... :?
    56BLOOD
    'Bama Bulldog

Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 am

• =OSS*ROID= wrote:I am a bit confused as to why they are making a freebie game though ???

Well, if remember EA's strategy, they try to promote it before BF3, trying to attract as much players as they can with ''shiny'' graphics. When they bite, you get something like ''pay for better experience'' thing, bonuses for upcoming BF3 yada, yada.... and then BF3 gets out and you spent shit load of money just for a "supposed" free game.

This is a money-sucking black hole, nothing else. :roll:

A bit OT but would you want to have a selection where you could put your existing BF2 account into BF3?
    lipovi

Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:46 am

• I suppose there must be some sort of endgame strategy for extracting our money or promoting another game somehow. I guess I would just prefer they put the time effort and resources into making BF3 a topshelf game rather than pumping out this freeby game to keep us interested til the real game is released.
    =OSS*ROID=
    Admin

Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 am

• =OSS*ROID= wrote:I suppose there must be some sort of endgame strategy for extracting our money or promoting another game somehow. I guess I would just prefer they put the time effort and resources into making BF3 a topshelf game rather than pumping out this freeby game to keep us interested til the real game is released.

I hear you.... But EA thinks money, money, money! Let's hope that DICE will make us a full BF3 experience. And leave "prone" option! I want to lie down and snipe people from afar.
    lipovi

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 am

• i think it is not that good but:

i am in closed beta! :D anyone else?
    =OSS*KEFKE96=

Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:58 pm

• Here is my speculation.

I myself hate CoD since it is such a different engine to play on. I get shot too fast, it is like BFBC2 on Super Double Hardcore Mode. I just can't get into it, as their target model (Teenagers with no life after school).

On the other hand people who play the Battlefield series as myself are used to that style of game play. What EA is trying to do is get us prepared for the release of BF3. One thing that BF players like about CoD is that there are MANY MANY weapons to choose from. As where we have unlocks then after that, grab metals and the game can become dull. With a constant influx of content into the game, it will stay alive much longer. Even when people stop buying the game, they will still play it and that requires servers. Server companies have to pay a royalty to EA for the content in which they host every month. Which when all is said and done EA still gets money for it. It is a great market strategy and even better for us because we always get new content and that keeps the game alive.

Anyways, they want us to get used to this new system of weapons and strategy (BECAUSE YOU NOTICE THEY SAID "NEW COMBAT TECHNIQUE") to prepare with Battlefield 3. The difference being that in BF:BC2 people weren't prepared and couldn't adjust quickly to that style of gameplay. All in all that is why there are usually CoD players and BF players.

Make sense?
    TS3: notellcartel.typefrag.com pass: frag

=OSS*Xconman=

Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:07 am

• HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm a teen but I have a life!!!!!!!! I still LOVE DOD MW2 and BO tho! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
    Shane1996

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:15 pm

• I take your sign of aggression as a defense mechanism because you know I'm right.
    TS3: notellcartel.typefrag.com pass: frag

=OSS*Xconman=

Next

Return to -BF2-

Information